Cottage doors buying guide
Who doesn’t want that white-picket-fence look to come home to every day? If you’re looking for a classic front door that looks as luxurious as is functional, you’ve come to the right place.
When selecting your new front door, we recommend considering the following to ensure you make the perfect choice from the vast range available:
Choose the right material for your area
In addition to the look and feel of the material you opt for, you need to ensure that your new cottage door can stand the test of its environment.
If you live in a build-up, urban area, for example, you may be able to select a front door that’s less durable than if you lived on the coast facing the sea.
The good news is that all of the external cottage doors we stock can withstand even the harshest elements, so all that’s left for you to do is pick the style you like the most and will finish the exterior of your home perfectly:
- GRP – GRP is an acronym for glass-reinforced plastic, also referred to sometimes as fibreglass. It’s a manmade door and some of the benefits of opting for this material include low maintenance, resistance to denting, fading, warping, peeling and it has great thermal efficiency. The traditional white colour will also give a lovely cottage-esque vibe.
- Hardwood – In complete contrast to a white GRP door, we also stock options in beautiful moody shades made from hardwood. Hardwood front doors also boast thermal efficiency and are low maintenance. In addition, they are great for shielding street noise, perfect if your property is situated within a more urban environment.
- Oak – If ever there was a wooden door that epitomises quaint country living, it’s oak. Not only are they enchanting, but they are also energy-efficient, secure and laughs in the face of the British weather.
To glaze or not to glaze?
Your next decision will be whether you want a glazed front door. If you’re looking to create that traditional cottage feel, you’ll achieve that and more with glass panels.
Here’s a quick summary of the glazing options to choose from:
- Clear double glazed – Opting for double glazing over single means your home is better insulated, creating a more comfortable environment and potentially lowering your energy bills. The clear panes mean that you can also see who is at the front door without opening it, adding an additional layer of safety.
- Decorative – Our decorative glass panes are also double glazed and add an additional focal point. If you want something classic and definitive, this will be more than suitable.
Select a colour
By now you’ll have a great idea of the kind of style you’re looking for in your front door. The finishing touch will be the colour. We stock classic white, natural light wood and elegant dark wood, all of which will support the kerb appeal you’re looking for.
Why shop with Vivid Doors?
In addition to the broad range of stylish cottage external doors available from high-quality, well-known and reputable brands, you can rely on our price match promise.
We’re so sure of the quality of our front doors, we have implemented a ten-year warranty guarantee.
Finally, you can enjoy free delivery when you spend more than £750 on your external and internal doors and accessories.